About National Association for the Blind (Karnataka)
Established in 1977, the National Association for the Blind (Karnataka) is a private not-for-profit organization that provides services and solutions to individuals without regard to social status, race, religion, gender or age. NAB is overseen by a Governing Council and Managing Committee , many of whom are ex-students who have been absorbed into the training stream.
NAB’s focused mission is to champion the cause of the visually challenged in Karnataka and enable them to live their lives confidently and independently with dignity through economic rehabilitation. Keeping this goal in mind, the Association positions itself as a trainer and generates visually challenged citizens who are ready to take up a host of jobs in different industries.
The objectives of NAB are
1. The prevention of visual impairment.
2. Rehabilitation of visually impaired people.
It is a one-of-a-kind organization with unique infrastructure in Bangalore and supplemental units in Mysore, and rural areas. NAB’s wide-ranging projects (screening camps, eye camps, surgery, medicines and more) extend to the rural depths of Karnataka.
Partially funded by the Karnataka Government and central governments, the greater portion of funds is through donations from members of the public and the private and public sectors. Donations are exempt from tax under Section 80G or 35AC of the Income Tax Act of 1961.
To lead the visually challenged persons from darkness to light
Make the visually challenged equal members of society
- To make visually challenged self reliant in mobility
- Basic education to visually challenged
- Training in vocational skills
- Vocational skill training to educated visually challenged
- Training visually challenged in technical skills
- Training visually challenged in Information Technology
- Rehabilitation of visually challenged in rural areas in Karnataka
- Assist visually challenged in seeking/ getting suitable earning opportunities
- Project Jyothi: to eradicate curable blindness- to achieve the goal of vision 2020